It’s not difficult to imagine the damage that fire can leave in its wake. Fire’s strength grows quickly, and as its power builds, it can destroy everything in its path. Further, it’s not just the fire you have to worry about – as if that’s not enough – smoke damage is another important consideration. If your home or commercial property has been damaged by fire, consult with an experienced Lake Kathryn, FL fire damage claims lawyer today.
Fire Damage Is Often Swift and Final
If fire sweeps through your home or other property, it works swiftly, and the damage is often complete and final. There is generally little room for ambiguity when it comes to serious fire damage. Once fire rears its ugly head, it makes itself known in no uncertain terms. This does not, however, mean that the insurance company involved is going to quickly assess your damages and make you a settlement offer that reflects your damages in their entirety. It’s typically far more complicated than that. You purchase home insurance to protect your investment and to responsibly provide for your family, and when the insurance company fails to live up to its related responsibilities, it makes an already difficult situation that much more difficult. Working closely with an experienced fire damage claims lawyer is in you and your claim’s best interest.
Partial Loss Fires
If your home has been damaged but not destroyed by fire and/or smoke, your insurance claims process can be even more complicated. These claims are known as partial losses because your property has been partially destroyed. A partial loss, it’s important to point out, can be devastating, nonetheless. If fire has caused you to suffer a partial loss, you need to be compensated for the full range of your losses in order to restore your home to its former integrity, and toward that end, there are some important considerations to keep in mind. These include:
- It’s important to inspect your home for hidden damage, which can encompass water damage, smoke damage, mold, a deterioration of air quality, damage to ductwork, and more.
- Cleaning up after a fire is difficult, time-consuming, and expensive work that is necessary to restore your home post-fire. When this cleaning is inadequate or done improperly, it can leave your home in a damaged state that you may not even recognize until later.
- If your home has suffered a partial loss, it may be a low priority for your insurance company, which means you could suffer serious delays that leave you and your family living in a damaged home – or sheltering elsewhere – for an extended period of time. Further, the more quickly you attend to damage caused by fire and smoke, the more quickly you can mitigate any further damage to your home.
- The process of repairing a home after a partial loss caused by fire should return your home to a uniform and consistent appearance – instead of a patchwork quilt of repairs that fix the damage but leave your home looking ragtag. Even if the process requires replacing undamaged items in your home, such as tiles for your roof or carpeting throughout your home, the insurance company is responsible for this level of repair and should be held accountable.
Obtain a Thorough Inspection
If your home has been damaged by fire – but not completely destroyed – it’s critical that you obtain your own, independent inspection of the damage. Again, some damage caused by fire and smoke can be stealth but serious nevertheless. This inspection should include all of the following:
- Your roof
- Any structural steel and/or iron
- Any stucco, concrete, and/or siding
- Your windows
- Your plumbing and heating systems
- Your interior walls and framing
Obtaining a thorough inspection helps ensure that you obtain compensation that fully covers your damages.
Schedule an Appointment with an Experienced Lake Kathryn, FL Fire Damage Claims Lawyer Today
Fire can quickly wreak incredible damage – and some of that damage may not even be readily apparent. The dedicated fire damage claims lawyers at The Law Offices of Jerrod Paul, PA, in Lake Kathryn, FL, are committed to getting to the bottom of your claim and to skillfully fighting for compensation that addresses your full range of damages. We’re here for you, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us for more information today.